Sending mail via ISP's smtp server

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Fri Jan 16 17:24:22 EST 2004

It really doesn't matter what your mail client does.  It is the mail
transport agent (MTA) that decides what to do with your outgoing mail
and how.  What MTA do you use?  I use Exim and based on Raul's post,
he is doing exactly what you want to do as I am also.  It can also be
done with sendmail though I don't currently use it anymore, I would be
hard pressed to find the original configurations I used for that one.
If you are using Exim (commonly used on Debian systems), I could send
you my exim.conf file which uses a "smart_host" routine to send all
mail to a single host.  I also have another rule in there that strips
off the local machine name so all my mail only shows the top two
levels of my address - holmesgrown.com.  Without the stripping, my
mail would always show something like lnx1.holmesgrown.com and this
seems to screw up my mailing list subscriptions.  I want all replies
to my mail to be holmesgrown.com, not lnx1.holmesgrown.com.

Anyway, if interested, I can send you what I currently use for Exim.
It seems like all these MTA's have complex configurations that warrant
considerable study to understand them fully.

On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 04:30:31PM -0500, Garrett Klein wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to send email through my ISP's smtp server, not my own,
> since the return address only works when this machine is in Linux, with
> my dyndns account updated. I've told mutt to fake my from: header to say
> kleins at iquest.net just so I can send messages here, but would like to
> use mail.iquest.net to send messages if at all possible. I know pine can
> do this, but pine is evil, IMHO.
>
> Garrett

HolmesGrown Solutions
The best solutions for the best price!