speakup as modules

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Fri Jan 16 12:37:18 EST 2004

Top answer--flexibility is good. Having a choice means serving different
needs more comprehensively.

For example, in my case, on my portable machine, I may, or may not, have
a hardware synth plugged in. And, if I do have one plugged in, it could
one of several, a Litetalk or a DEC Talk Express, for instance. Because
Speakup is modular, I can also switch synths without rebooting.

In the long run, it's probably critical for Speakup to be modular if
we're ever to see it included in the stock kernel.

Ameer Armaly writes:
> From: "Ameer Armaly" <Ameer_Armaly at hotmail.com>
>
> Hi all.
> Out of curiosity, I was wondering what is special about running speakup builtin or as a module?  Many people seem to use it as  a module set, and I would think it's safer to have it talk at startup, to insure that kernels run smoothly, but this is just my opinion; maybe it's just because I used to misscompile my kernels so many times in the past.
> Thanks,
>

> Ameer

Janina Sajka
Email: janina at rednote.net
Phone: (202) 408-8175

Director, Technology Research and Development
American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)
http://www.afb.org

Chair, Accessibility Work Group
Free Standards Group