java installation

William F. Acker WB2FLW +1-303-722-7209 wacker at octothorp.org
Wed Jan 14 22:12:16 EST 2004

Hi,

     You're best off using the file with rpm in its name, something like
j2sdk<something>rpm.bin
The Java bin files are just self extracting zip files, so you can do:
unzip j2sdk<somethingrpm.bin.  That'll give you an RPM file that you can
install in the usual way.  rpm -iv <file>
Then, create a file called /etc/profile.d/java.sh with the following
contents.
export JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2
export PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH

  As you can see, it's version specific.  I believe that 1.4.2 is the
latest.
          HTH.
--

Bill in Denver