Braille Blazer problems

Garrett Klein kleins at iquest.net
Wed Jan 14 20:36:56 EST 2004

Hello all,
I am running Slackware 9.1 with Speakup 1.5 using my Braille Blazer as a
synthesizer. I, however, am having multiple issues with it. For one
thing, when too much text gets sent over the serial port, it turns
itself off and back on, which destroys my punctuation/pitch settings (I
can fix the pitch and speed, though). My second problem is
Speakup-related. I've seen it in Speakup 1.0, 1.5, and CVS speakup
(which, might I add, made my blazer sound quite weird). This problem is
that it does not announce uppercase letters in a higher pitch than
lowercase ones. This has also happened when using my Braille Lite 40 as
a synth. I've tried a warm reset, and that didn't help. Sometimes it'll
say some letters higher when spelling a word, but I think it doesn't
just do the uppercase ones in that case, it's hard to tell. Case
sensativity works in JAWS for DOS, BTW.
I'm looking into getting a DoubleTalk LT, so I won't have to worry about
these problems anymore. Either that, or possibly getting a TrippleTalk
USB and using its serial port, would that work with speakup? Any
suggestions to fix these annoying issues would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Garrett