New

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at sent.com
Wed Jan 14 05:45:22 EST 2004

Hi, and welcome to the list!

What you want to do is possible, but a real challenge. I got
started that way myself and I bet a number of others did too.

You will need a crossover or "null modem" serial cable between
the two machines, such as used to come with a package called
"laplink". Your terminal machine needs to be running a terminal
program such as you would use to dial up a shell account. It is
perfectly adequate to run that terminal program in a DOS
environment. Remember DOS? <smile> Save yourself some nightmares
and check out that link between the two machines before starting
the Linux install.

I found it extremely helpful to follow the steps described in an
emacspeak howto written by Jim Van Zandt, even though I was not
interested in emacspeak. I am not sure if it is still available,
but it describes how to do an "eyes free" install and summarizes
a few basic shell commands, in addition to the emacs stuff.

Life is so much simpler these days with a hardware synth and the
speakup software. Are you certain you cannot get your hands on a
synthesizer? How about a Braille 'N Speak?

Chuck