My IP address with DHCP

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Sun Jan 11 20:19:29 EST 2004

Hi Chuck.

The inet addr is your ip address. Remember that ppp0 is a point to
point interface, which means that even though you have an ip address
visible to the world assigned by the ppp gateway, you are actually
connecting from a separate private address assigned to you by the
gateway, to an interface address on that gateway which is also
private. Thus a point to point connection.

With eth0, you don't have a point to point connection, but you do have
an ethernet connection which means your inet addr is the address the
rest of the world knows you by, and there are no intermediate
addresses between you and your isp like you have with ppp.

Hope that helped, and that it wasn't too confusing.

Greg