broadband connectivity advice

Guy Abandon. text.tools at virgin.net
Tue Jan 6 15:27:47 EST 2004

The thing about Linux and Cable, is that it is a plain old ethernet
card as connection and that is there by default and should simply work
if connected.  Ok, there are more issues about dhcp and dynamic ip
address allocation or having a static.  What we did was to get a
D-Link DI-704P router and had that hooked to the cable box/modem and
then hooked all 4 computers including the two Linux ones, to the
sockets on the hub.  The router is set thorugh a webmin type interface
on a standard 192.0.somethingorother to do the basic interface bits
for picking up an ip address and registering one or few (up to 5) with
the isp.  I should add that these routers do depend on a m9inimum
level of i.e explorer to interact with the rounter, so you'll need a
windows machine to do it even now.

How does all this sound so far.

Bob H.