broadband connectivity advice

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at chartermi.net
Tue Jan 6 09:26:39 EST 2004

Actually, even in linux, sometimes if you do lose your connection
rebooting does restart it. So I would try rebooting before I call them,
then you never have to argue that you don't have to reboot because you are
running linux.
I haven't had charter refuse to talk to me because i'm running linux, but
i have gotten some really ignorant so-called tech people. sometimes you
have to keep calling until you get somebody that knows something. But I
should point out that other than some temporary down times, which I just
waited through, I've only had one call-in-and-report-a-problem hassle in
over two years. and that problem was apparently because Madison,
wisconsin's servers were being reorganized and the server I was using
suddenly wouldn't let me send emails and I had to end up switching my smtp
in exim. Of course, tech support didn't tell me what to change, so you do
fare better if you know enough about your system to translate what they
tell you is wrong to linuxese. I've heard some reports from linux users on
cable of some ports being intentionally blocked to prevent activity, but
this hasn't so far happened to me.

--
Cheryl