broad band connectivity advice

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Tue Jan 6 05:37:06 EST 2004

Hi Chuck,

I don't know of anybody who isn't in some kind of fight with verizon in
this area who uses or has used verizon dsl.  The lady who works across the
hall from me had a fight with them too and she's got perfectly good eye
sight.  That having been said, your cable provider may use pppoe or dhcp,
best to ask and find out.  You also want to go and buy a router for your
modem and tell the cable company you have a router hooked up since it's a
different kind of signal that has to be sent to your modem to get it
started with a router.  Right now and for the past year and a little more
I've been on a 14.4 modem.  The reason is I didn't purchase and get a
router installed.  You might ask the cable company if the technician can
install the router for you too, some of them can.  The technicians gmp
cable employs don't officially support Linux but when they get out to a
place where Linux is used it's like they turned into Willy Wonka in the
chocolate factory.  Why did the lack of a router make use of a dialup
connection necessary, the cable account and my computer got hacked.