broadband connectivity advice

Alex Snow alex_snow at gmx.net
Mon Jan 5 19:32:26 EST 2004

I'll try to answer your questions as best as possible. I have been
using a cable modem for several years. the equipment used is the
surfboard (made by motorola?) which works fine with just about
anything you hook up to it.
You asked about what the installer does. basically he sets up your
cable modem's internal settings and notes it's mac address. he may
also assing you an ip address depending on your setup. all that is
needed on your end is to set your machine to dhcp and hook a network
cable from your computer to the cable modem's ethernet interface.

Also you asked about installing client software. all you need is the
basic linux tcp/ip stuff and the drivers for your network card. Your
connection looks to linux like you're hooked into a standard lan.

Once again this depends on your provider. I havent seen any companies
that require special software but they may exist. also most isp's
system requirements can be disreguarded. I.E. in my isp's faq they say
you need at least a pentium 233 with 128mb ram. I have successfully
used their survice with a pentium 120 with 16mb of ram and could go
much lower. hell, if i had a vax with an ethernet controler it'd
probably work.

On
Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 06:44:20PM -0500, Chuck Hallenbeck wrote:

back.