question about Gnopernicus

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Thu Jan 1 18:52:07 EST 2004

Actually, Scott, I went off on the case for how Gnopernicus is without
multiple sound sources and missed answering your question! <grin> Sorry.

At this time there is no hardware speech support for Gnopernicus. I
think there should be.

It's also possible that we should work on finding ways to give ESD and
Gnome-Speech one sound device, while keeping a second device for access
with apps like Jack, Beast, and all those other tantalizing music apps
out there. Eventually, this kind of configuration will be essential
anyway for doing music. You wouldn't want DEC Talk to star in your
magnum opus--unless, of course, you wanted DEC Talk in that opus.

Scott Berry writes:
> From: Scott Berry <scott at drscott.dyndns.biz>
>
> Ah hah!  You answered my question I was wondering as to why my system
> thinks it must crash in Gnome.  Thanks for the help.  Very much
> appreciated.On Thu, 1 Jan 2004, Janina Sajka wrote:
>
> > I've cc'd this response to the GNOME Accessibility development list
> > because I think you make an outstanding case. I have had exactly the
> > same experience myself. I, too, am a musician and most interested in
> > GNOME accessibility for the purpose of doing music work with
> > applications like Beast Gmorgan, and Jack Rack.
> >
> > I find that I can only run Gnopernicus for a minute or two before ESD (I think it's ESD)
> > crashes my system. The lockups are sometimes hard lockups that even
> > prevent me from switching consoles. My only salvation from a reboot is
> > to have an SSH session going from another machine. That way I can kill
> > the dozen or so processes GNOME is running in order to try again.
> >
> > PS: Just restarting X with a Ctrl-Alt-Backspace doesn't do the trick.
> > Neither does issuing a telinit 3 followed by telinit 5 from the console.
> >

> > Scott Berry writes:
> > > From: Scott Berry <scott at drscott.dyndns.biz>
> > >
> > > I am wondering if Gnopernicus can be built with the Doubletalk installed.
> > > I am a musician and I am trying to work in Gnome with some recording apps
> > > but when I go to record I loose Festivals speech and therefore am lost.  I
> > > did look at the Gnopernicus site but didn't find the answer there.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Scott Berry
> > > Email: n7zib at bresnan.net

> Scott Berry
> Email: n7zib at bresnan.net

Janina Sajka
Email: janina at rednote.net
Phone: (202) 408-8175

Director, Technology Research and Development
American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)
http://www.afb.org

Chair, Accessibility Work Group
Free Standards Group