imap with pine?

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Sun Feb 29 22:11:16 EST 2004

Pine and IMAP are brainchildren of the University of Washington.  At
least, I think IMAP came from there.  So Pine works very well with
it.  Basically, put the server neme inside of braces like so:
{imap-server}/inbox
You can specify this on your primar inbox folder and for your
postponed and sent messages.  You can also set up multiple folders to
so you can break up your inbound mail and have it tossed into separate
folders for different lists or whatever.  I've done the IMAP thing for
several years now with both Pine and Mutt.  I especially like IMAP so
I can read my mail from several different boxes (both winblows and
linux) and be able to use the same mail folders with full continuity.

I think the help screens for Pine show an example of setting up for
IMAP with the braces as I showed above.

HTH.

On Sat, Feb 28, 2004 at 06:55:46PM -0500, cris wrote:
> Hi folks
> Finally my linux is running with a wireless card, thanks to Bill Acker.  My question is:  have any of you tried to configure pine to run an Imap server?  I know that it runs with the smtp for incoming.  However my incoming server is an imap server.  How can I access it?  If pine does not support the imap incoming mail server, what other linux program does?  I appreciate your help.
> Cheers,
> Cris

HolmesGrown Solutions
The best solutions for the best price!