boot up disks fore sarge dibean distro?

Shane Wegner shane-keyword-speakup.aca783 at cm.nu
Sun Feb 29 16:33:16 EST 2004

On Sun, Feb 29, 2004 at 09:21:49AM -0800, hank wrote:
> I am trying to get sarge on my amd 233 box the cd rom is so old that it isn't giving me the boot prompt so I am going to have to boot up with boot disks is there a boot disk fore the sarge distro? if so where is it? once I raw write it how do I start up the system to begin installing it?
> I don't want to have to swap out cd roms unless I have no choice

Unfortunately, I couldn't get the whole bootdisk thing
working with Sarge and the speakup kernel.  It objected to
having upx run on it and without upx the kernel was too
big.

One thing that might work if you're lucky and have a dos or
win9x system is to grab a copy of loadlin from your
favourite debian mirror, exit to dos and
d:
if d: is the path to the cd
cd install\speakup
loadlin vmlinuz DEBCONF_PRIORITY=medium vga=normal initrd=initrd.gz ramdisk_size=8192 root=/dev/rd/0 init=/linuxrc devfs=mount,dall rw

If it can't find the initrd because it doesn't detect or
know about your cdrom, just copy the contents of
\install\speakup onto your hard drive.

Hth,
Shane