Portable accessibility devices - print reading, etc.

Darrell Shandrow nu7i at azboss.net
Sun Feb 29 11:36:08 EST 2004

Hi all,

I am doing some of my own, freelance research and am seeking the help of
those who are "in the know"...

I am interested in learning about all currently active projects to create a
portable accessibility device for the purpose of reading print and tactile
access to images.  I am thinking about something similar to the old Optacon.
I have heard of a couple of such projects, but information seems to be very
sparce.

Please respond off-list if you know anything about any of these projects.
What will be the features of such a device when it goes into production and
what will be its price tag.

I feel that having an affordable version of such a device might represent
our only near-term hope to gain greater accessibility to the world around
us.

Thanks.

A+, CCNA, Network+!
All the best to coalition forces carrying out Operation Iraqi Freedom!