slackware question

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Sun Feb 22 19:08:16 EST 2004

On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 07:27:11PM -0500, Jes and guide dog Harley wrote:
> No Steve you didn't confuse me at all. But what does stderr stand fore, anyway?

STDERR is a secondary output destination, (Standard Error) probably
mainly for errors and messages one wouldn't want redirected to a pipe
or file as normal output might be.  I think this is particularly an
issue when piping stuff for scripts.  For console viewing and the need
for all output to be viewed in a pager like more or less, the 2>&1
construct really saves the day.

--
HolmesGrown Solutions
The best solutions for the best price!