Are ICMP packets important?

Toby Fisher toby at tjfisher.co.uk
Thu Feb 19 11:20:27 EST 2004

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Chuck Hallenbeck wrote:

> Hi Toby,
>
> My ethernet card goes to my cable modem and from there to the
> world. No routers. Could it be my modem?

Hi, orry for the delay in getting back, maybe you've sorted it by now, but
to answer your question, it sounds like it's your modem, with a built-in
router.  The first hop will be the one your ethernet card is directly
connected to.  It's possible your isp could tell you how to unblock icmp
packets, or they may even have to do it for you if it's a managed modem.
If not, then the likelyhood is that you need to know the username/password
and you should be able to do this yourself.

Cheers.

Toby Fisher	Email: toby at tjfisher.co.uk
Tel.: +44(0)1480 417272	Mobile: +44(0)7974 363239
ICQ: #61744808