Md5sum question

Joseph C. Lininger jbahm at pcdesk.net
Mon Feb 16 14:58:23 EST 2004

Your mostly right, but there are some slight things that are not correct
in what you are saying. A CRC uses the contents of the text, message, what
ever to generate what is called a checksum. A checksum is relatively
insecure in that it can be fooled by altering certin portions of the
message. The MD5 algorithm actually generates a hash,
which is more secure than a checksum. In theory, altering any portion
of the hashed contents would result in a different hash being
generated. When gpg is used, a hash is also
generated using a different algorithm, usually sha1. SHA1 is much more
secure than the hash generated by the md5
algorithm. In fact, older versions of pgp use the md5 algorithm to sign
things just as gpg and newer versions of pgp now use sha1. It is worth
noting that md5 can also be used to generate checksums. Examples of this
are programs such as md5sum.

--
Joseph C. Lininger
jbahm at pcdesk.net