VMWare with Speakup.

Garry Turkington garry.turkington at acm.org
Fri Feb 13 04:59:29 EST 2004

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Sean Murphy wrote:

> Has anyone run Linux in a VMWare environment with Speakup?

I played with this at the end of last year but didn't get as far as I
wanted due to time constraints.  I had a RedHat distro running in a VMWare
instance on a Windows XP box and from a functional perspective all was
working well.

My problem though was that there was a perceptable lag in the speech
output and its stunning how badly a consistent half second delay breaks
ones concentration.  I'd put this down to the hardware I was using though
as a Pentium 3 667Mhz really is a bit old in the tooth for a VMWare setup
in my experience.  VMWare is great technology but throwing lots of CPU and
memory at it is pretty much a prerequisite.

You can download a 30 day trial version of VMWare from their website and
the installation is relatively self-contained on the Windows side so I'd
recommend that route.  If you've any specific questions then feel free to
drop me an email.

Regards,
Garry