Is ICMP important?

William Hubbs w.hubbs at comcast.net
Thu Feb 12 13:12:51 EST 2004

Hi all,

I wouldn't go running nmap blindly on another computer without the owner's permission.  If you do and the owner complains to your isp you might get shut down for abuse -- they might think you are scanning the ports on the other machine to try to find a way to compromise it.

I know this because a few years ago when I was running redhat linux (I think it was version 6 or so), someone got into my computer and did this and I was shut down.  Fortunately the isp let me back on after I talked to them about what was going on.

William