Are ICMP packets important?

Toby Fisher toby at tjfisher.co.uk
Thu Feb 12 11:29:26 EST 2004

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Chuck Hallenbeck wrote:

> Just for kicks I tried to ping my mysterious packet thief, the
> address that seems to be stealing my ping echo-requests, and got
> the following:

<snip>

> I am not sure what all this means. Anybody know a way around this
> barrier? or how to get further info?

I don't know what type of link you have, i.e. how fast, and the linik to
your first hop, but do you have some ssort of router or equivalent between
you and the outside World?  If so, this could be it.  At the very least, I
suspect this to be the other end of your connection, certainly not at the
boundaries of your isp I think the ping round-trip time is too low.

HTH

Toby Fisher	Email: toby at tjfisher.co.uk
Tel.: +44(0)1480 417272	Mobile: +44(0)7974 363239
ICQ: #61744808