Are ICMP packets important?

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Wed Feb 11 21:56:17 EST 2004

My former ISP, Sprint Broadband, was blocking all pings as far as I
could tell.  They also claimed security reasons.  It is really a shame
as people go along and fuck things up.  First it is finger, then
e-mail with all that spam and viruses and such, and now ping.  Soon it
will be impossible to trouble-shoot your own network in relation to
the internet in general.  My current ISP, Cox Communications doesn't
block pings but they do block other popular ports on inbound to
prevent personal hosting of servers but there's ways around that too.

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 05:41:14PM -0500, Alex Snow wrote:
> my isp blocked icmp packets 'because they use up bandwidth' but only
> on their subnet. I can ping whoever I want and get a reply if they're
> outside the subnet.
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 01:58:59PM -0500, Chuck
> Hallenbeck wrote:

> Always borrow money from a pessimist; he doesn't expect to be paid
> back.

HolmesGrown Solutions
The best solutions for the best price!
http://ld.net/?holmesgrown