FCC Chairman Sets Out Four Freedoms

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Tue Feb 10 09:53:13 EST 2004

Now, does this sound like Richard Stohlman, or what??

Actually, I think this is a very good set of principles that can
guarantee our participation in future technologies if they're adhered
to.

>From today's Benton Foundation Communications News Digest:

POWELL TO CABLE: PROTECT INTERNET FREEDOM
At the Silicon Flatirons Symposium, FCC Chairman Michael Powell called
on
broadband-network providers (and especially cable system operators that
offer high-speed Internet access) to guarantee that consumers enjoy
"Four
Freedoms": Freedom to access legal content; Freedom to run any
application
that won't harm the network; Freedom to attach any device that does not
abet crime; and Freedom to obtain meaningful information about service
plans. Chairman Powell said, "It is time to give the private sector a
clear
road map by which it can avoid future regulation on this issue by
embracing
unparalleled openness and consumer choice."
[SOURCE: Multichannel News, AUTHOR: Ted Hearn]
http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA380530?display=Breaking+News
Read Chairman Powell's full remarks "Preserving Internet Freedom:
Guiding
Principles For The Industry" at
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-243556A1.pdf

--

Janina Sajka
Email: janina at rednote.net
Phone: +1 (202) 408-8175

Director, Technology Research and Development
American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)
http://www.afb.org

Chair, Accessibility Work Group
Free Standards Group