[announce] Debian Sarge SpeakUp iso

Shane Wegner shane-keyword-speakup.aca783 at cm.nu
Mon Feb 9 23:50:45 EST 2004

Hi,

I have created a Debian Sarge (testing) netinst iso which
is Speakup enabled.  I have tested it myself and
successfully installed Debian Sarge using this method.

The iso and md5 checksum is available here
http://people.debian.org/~shane/netinst-speakup/

A few things of note if you are interested in testing this.
First, this is by default a regular Debian netinst install
CD, in order to enable speakup, you need to type something
similar to the following at the boot prompt
speakup speakup_synth=txprt

Replace speakup_synth with the speakup synthesizer code of
your synth.  Users with an Accent SA need not use a
speakup_synth parameter as it is the default.  In this
case, simply typing speakup is sufficient.

One gotcha I have found so far is by default, the kernel
installed on the target system in the base system
installation is not SpeakUp enabled.  So, though the
installation itself will talk, once the system is rebooted
and Linux boots, there is no sspeech.  Further, d-i doesn't
prompt you to choose a kernel by default.  To get around
this, use the following at the initial boot prompt
speakup DEBCONF_PRIORITY=medium speakup_synth=xxxxxx
Near the end of the installing, you will be prompted for
the kernel to install, uparrow to the one with speakup in
its name as opposed to 386 and you should have a talking
system out of the box.

I am interested in any bugreports related to the speakup
integration aspect of this CD especially with systems on
which I haven't tested it such as laptops.

Shane