can't find serial port

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Fri Feb 6 17:18:00 EST 2004

Yes, but I've found that it's not that uncommon to have internal
modems (hardware ones in my case), assigned to non-standard ports. For
example, my server has a U.S. Robotics internal 56k hardware modem,
which is assigned to /dev/ttyS4. When this machine was running
windows, the modem got com5, although I only have
ttyS0/ttyS1/com1/com2 in this box on-board.

I also got hold of an old box a few weeks ago which has an internal
sportster 33.6k hardware modem. The modem gets ttyS1/com2, and the 2
on-board ports get ttyS0 and ttyS2 respectively.

Greg