can't find serial port

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Thu Feb 5 19:33:25 EST 2004

>From your Windows command prompt, can you:

copy c:\autoexec.bat com1

If you hear anything from your synth, you'll know your device is
working.

It's possible that the port is bad, of course. It's also possible that
it's disabled in bios. That would probably mean getting someone sighted
to go through the bios with you.

Kyrath writes:
> From: "Kyrath" <kyrath at cox.net>
>
> Hi,
> I've got an old Gateway P2 266 that currently has win98 on it.
> It, unfortunately, has embedded video and sound cards.  However, I'm not sure that would be the cause of my problems with finding the serial port.
> I've tried to redirect output via null modem cable and tried to get it to use the external double talk, but nothing happens.
> It will boot into windows, and it does access the floppy, just once,  when I type "console=ttyS0" or "speakup_synth=ltlk", but no joy.
> I even tried having it look for serial port 2.
> Does anyone have any ideas of what's going on or what else I can try?
> -- Rob
> -- Rob

Janina Sajka
Email: janina at rednote.net
Phone: +1 (202) 408-8175

Director, Technology Research and Development
American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)
http://www.afb.org

Chair, Accessibility Work Group
Free Standards Group