domain problems

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Wed Feb 4 19:25:04 EST 2004

On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 04:02:59PM -0500, Igor Gueths wrote:
> What does the one about the command channel mean? Is that rndc related?

Yes. Rndc is used to control your nameserver, and that control happens
via 127.0.0.1 port 953 by default. The fact that you are getting these
warnings actually suggests to me that your named isn't running.

> Also, how do I tell rndc to not look for files in /usr/etc?

I think that can be done at build time, if at all. Have a look at the
rndc(8) man page.

> Also, even
> when my server is running, and I do a dig on it the only servers that
> respond are the root servers. And when I tried to put my nameserver in
> the list of nameservers directnic should use, I got a message that
> stated that my nameserver wasn't registered. Anyone know what I am
> missing here? Thanks!

See what I said above, that would really tell me your name server
isn't running.

Greg