Software synths

Tom and Esther Ward tward1978 at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 4 18:32:51 EST 2004

One of the major downfalls of software speech systems is that they have been
less reliable in specific situations. Especially, in os installation.
For example back in the early 90's I use to use Jaws for dos with a hardware
synth to install dos on to my computer and then install hardware. Software
speech wasn't up to the task.
Later on I updated to Windows 95/98 etc and still used Jaws for dos and a
special batch script to install MS Window's independantly.
Eventually, speakup boot disks came along to install Slackware, Red Hat,
debian etc to get Linux on a system independantly.
Point here all of these os installs required some commandline screen reader
for dos or Linux, and a hardware synth. Software speech still does not
proform on dos boot diskettes or be loaded into a Linux install without alot
of development.
In other cases I have found software speech fails if your kernel should
panic and speech would still not be present yet.
One last example is when I install Window's sometimes my soundcard drivers
are not installed. I can install Window Eyes blind, switch to the dectalk
Express, install drivers, and then choose to switch to a sofware speech if I
wish to do so.
Dispite that software speech has existed simply because it is cost
effective, is fine for general usage, but unless major advancements or
changes are made it's not going to help out in areas where a hardware synth
can go.