Software synths

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Wed Feb 4 11:24:05 EST 2004

Absolutely.

It's all about the applications knowing where to pipe those audio
streams. And, it's about the various audio managers doing so
consistently and appropriately. And, lastly, it's about applications
honoring your configuration settings.

On Linux, and in GNOME most specifically, I have no idea of what's going
wrong between gnome-speech and my launching of another audio app, but
wrong it goes and quickly.

The high-end audio group of folks seem to be standardizing on jack. The
desktop group complain that jack doesn't support network audio. We've a
ways to go, I think. And, I don't even understand all of this well
enough yet. But, I know we need to get it resolved well.

Janina Sajka