Software synths

Whitley CTR Cecil H WhitleyCH.ctr at cherrypoint.usmc.mil
Wed Feb 4 09:21:00 EST 2004

Hi Janina,
I agree that there is an issue with keeping the speech stream out of the
music stream.  I actually had a thought on that when I read your message.  I
have 5.1 surround sound, it would be possible to put the voice stream to the
rear speakers and therefore keep it separate from the music stream coming
through the front speakers.  I don't know if any of the software synth
developers would be interested in enabling this as an option, but it is one
possible solution.  A "separate" sound device like "voice" in the mixer
might also be an option, but i'm not sure if that would address all issues.
It would allow recording software to supress that device for it's incoming
data stream.

Don't get me wrong, I have no bias against hardware synths and I do wish
development on them would continue.  It would be so nice to have a firewire
or usb connected hw synth!  Especially one that the manufacturer would
publish enough documentation for to enable a speakup/yasr/emacs speak driver
to be written.  I guess even a PCI hw synth would be helpfull, but PCI like
ISA before it will eventually go away.

Regards,

Cecil