Software synths

Whitley CTR Cecil H WhitleyCH.ctr at cherrypoint.usmc.mil
Wed Feb 4 08:40:22 EST 2004

Hi,
I'm sorry, I can't buy into there being anything inheriently bad with
software synths.  They actually provide an elegant solution.  Even the
dectalk is at it's heart a software synth, it just runs on an external
computer all it's own.  If I remember the specs, it's a 386 with a meg of
memory.  If you can get that out of a 386, what should you be able to do
with one of the modern processors?

Admittedly, the dectalk has some fancy DAC's.....  But once again, they are
circa 1990....  Shouldn't todays technology be able to at least match it??
After all, we're not talking tubes here.

So in summary, I contend that with a modern processor and high end sound
hardware it should be possible to exceed "old" hardware synths in all
catagories.  On the other hand, if you get my dectalk express you'll have to
pry it from my cold dead fingers.....

Cecil