FC3 installation report

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Fri Dec 31 06:26:38 EST 2004

After having installed the current speakup version of fc3 (current here is
what was available for download December 27, 2004), I used alsamixer and
set master unmuted and to 100% all other controls that were muted were
likewise set to 100% and unmuted.  Then I hit escape and did the alsactl
store command.  Then I tried both aplay -q /usr/share/sounds/startup3.wav
as a command and also tried play /usr/share/sounds/startup3.wav and in
both cases heard the sounds of silence.  The alsamixer on subsequent run
after a modification to /etc/rc.d/rc.local which had alsactl restore added
to it did find my sound card with all 100% and unmuted settings.  I think
udev is likely to shape up as the NMCI of linux and am going to replace
this instance of FC3 with slackware 10.0, I need to access my zip drive
whether the sound card will work or not.  Since conventional radio
reception in this area of the country is aweful, having a broadband
connection and a working sound card is helpful if you want to listen to
radio short of a satellite radio.  There are other people on fedora-list
dealing with trying to get internal zip drives working because of udev.