sound blaster live problems

David Bruzos david at bruzos.org
Thu Dec 30 21:45:23 EST 2004

I don't understand:
Linux has very good support for the SB Live! soundcards.  I have never
seen one that did not work.  Well, you know, there is a first time for
everything.  Anyway, you might want to check if the emu10k driver is
loaded.  Use the lsmod command to do this.  Try something like:

# lsmod >output.txt

Then, use your text editor of choice to read the file and see what it
says.  I had you redirect the lsmod output to a file, because sometimes
the list of modules does not fit on the screen.  Also, you could send
the file to someone, so they can take a look at it.

I don't use Debian, so I don't know what to use to configure sound cards
properly.  However, the sound blaster should be configured already,
unless your install has some kind of bug.

Have you tried to play sound?  Try something like:

# play some-file.wav

If the command above gives an error, post it to the list...  Also, make
sure your volumes are all the way up...  Do something like:

# aumix -v 100
# aumix -w 100

and try to play sound again.

Another thing:
I think that you have to be part of the "audio" group to play audio in
Debian.  So check what groups you are part of.  Do:

# id

this should tell you what groups you are part of...

Hope this helps...

David Bruzos