access to files

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Mon Dec 27 15:16:34 EST 2004

Yes, you can copy the tar files to cd-rom, and then extract them and read them on your gnu/linux system. For extracting tar files, you use the tar program. Use the command

man tar

to read the tar manual page for more details. To extract a tar file, you should be able to get away with the command

tar xf file.tar

where file.tar is the name of your tar file.

It sounds like the contents of the tar file are html pages, so you can use lynx the cat to read them. A command like

lynx file.html

will open file.html for you in the lynx browser. Of course, you can always use

man lynx

for more details. Happy decompressing and reading.

Greg