I think I know the cause but maybe not

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Thu Dec 23 15:20:55 EST 2004

There are times when I want to use my zip drive with /dev/sda4 and shortly
after a linux installation is done and the system goes online this is
possible.  However repeatedly about a week after system goes online, I
find all /dev/sd* devices missing and this was with the automatic yum
update facility turned on.  I suspect either malware or root compromise.
Is one of these the most likely cause or is there something else I don't
yet know about.  No, I don't go around moving editing or deleting anything
in the /dev/ directory either.