More "Log-On" related questions

Terry D. Cudney terry at wasaga.dyns.net
Thu Dec 23 11:13:18 EST 2004

Hi all,

	in /etc/inittab, where the automatically opened consoles are defined, Debian defines six consoles by default and number seven is for X.

	Until recently I did not have X on my machine and I defined consoles seven through twelve in  inittab so that I could access any of them by doing ctrl-alt-Fn, where n was from one to twelve. It worked fine and when I finally put X on the system, console number thirteen was grabbed by X.

	In a very recent new installation of Sarje, I noticed the comment in inittab suggesting that console seven be reserved for X. So, in my new system I leave console seven for X and use numbers eight through twelve for text consoles. These are easy to access using the function key combinations.

	My habit is to use console one for mutt, eight for root login/work, nine for mplayer, ten for audio controls and twelve for the reflector. The others juggle between whatever tasks I have at hand. I'm not saying that this conventionis ideal, but it works quite well for me.

	--terry