More "Log-On" related questions

John McCann lists at jamsite.us
Wed Dec 22 20:12:56 EST 2004

As to your questions, Nick:

1.  Other than rebooting, then logging on as the "user" Janina helped me
create for "mail", is using "alt-ctl-f2" as good if I'm already logged on as
"root"?

You can change consoles with that key conbination, as I think you know. At
that point, you can log on as "root", or any other account you've created.
Bottom line, I don't think I understand the question..."as good" for what?
You can change consoles, log in with the account Janina created for you, but
you don't want to forget to log out of the "root" account on what, for want
of a better term, I'll call the "initial console", or the "initially opened
console."

2.  If I were to log on as my username, could I still do root log-on in
another console?

Most definitely. Use "alt control Fx (where "x" is a number from 2 to 6) to
open other "run level 3" consoles; i.e., command line rather than graphical.
I think that for f7 through f12, the consoles are only graphical, at least
in the fedora version of linux. Once you open any additional console, you
can do everything with it that you could do in the initial console.

John