More Dumb Questions from a Dense Newbie

W. Nick Dotson nickdotson at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 22 15:14:13 EST 2004

So far, I've been experimenting with the stuff I'm coming across in the second chapter of "Intro to Linux", which covers what they say are essential commands
for the beginner.  Among the first of these are "man" and "info".  I've been reading the entire 6 or 8,000 line manual for "mplayer".  The first page seems the
most imformative to someone like me because it has some command syntax patterns.  The one I'm particularly interested in is for playing a CD.  So as I can
remember it the command line was:
"mplayer vcd://track[/device]

So now we get to the problem, how do I tell which device my CD-Rom drive is?  I remember the "install.howto" describing dis partitioning, that, if my memory is
correct, the rood of your local hard drive is 0, so I figured the swap disc would be 1.  I've tried 2, 3, etc., figuring that it would go onto the next drive when I'd run
out of partitions for my local drive.  I've played with "cd" but that doesn't seem to work to let me change drive, and I was wanting to get a little ahead of chapter
2, so I could listen to CD's as I cleaned up my studio.

Nick

W. Nick Dotson
Technical Support Group
Senior Support Engineer for Kurzweil 1000