Debian or Fedora

Glenn at home GlennErvin at cableone.net
Sat Dec 18 22:56:11 EST 2004

where do I get these floppy images?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Terry D. Cudney" <terry at wasaga.dyns.net>
To: "Speakup is a screen review system for Linux." <speakup at braille.uwo.ca>
Sent: Saturday, December 18, 2004 9:47 PM
Subject: Re: Debian or Fedora

Hi Glen and Tom, et al,

I just installed Debian on a new system, using  a 3-floppy set to get
started and everything else was installed from the 'net. It has speakup in
the kernel, so it talks all the way through the install.... beautiful.

As for space requirements, debian has always been consistently smaller than
redhat/fedora for a base install since redhat/fedora installs so much by
default.

PLEASE, NO FLAMES about "my-distribution-is-better-than-your-distribution".
Just my experience, for what it's worth.Debian's 'apt' package manager makes
it extremely easy to install 'just" the packages that you want.

hth,

--terry
On Sat, Dec 18, 2004 at 09:05:41PM -0500, Tom Moore wrote:
> If you wish to use Debian there is a cd image out there that will you
> to install the Sarge release on to your machine with Speakup.
>
> http://people.debian.org/~shane
> Look there for the install cd.
>
> Tom
>
> On Sat, Dec
> 18, 2004 at 07:50:30PM -0600, Glenn at home wrote:
> > I have a computer hooked to my network that I am planning on installing
> > Linux onto.
> > It only has a 25 GB hard drive, and I want at least 20 GB for FTP files.
> > I have been thinking of trying Debian since it appears that it may take
> > less
> > disks to download.
> > I only want Linux right now for an FTP server.
> > Since I have not heard otherwise, I understand that Debian is not ready
> > for
> > prime time with speakup, so I guess I must go with Fedora, but that
> > takes 3
> > ISO's, unless I can get an FTP server going with only the first ISO.
> >
> > Can someone advise me here?
> > Thanks.Glenn

Name: Terry D. Cudney
Phone: (705) 422-0039
E-mail: terry at wasaga.dyns.net

Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like...
having a peeing sectionin a swimming pool.