Fedora 3 Speakup Problem (important!)

Adam Myrow amyrow at midsouth.rr.com
Fri Dec 10 17:58:27 EST 2004

It may not be a problem with the CD as much as the BIOS of some computers.
It would be good to know whether Fedora 3 boots off an emulated floppy or
directly.  Slackware switched from the emulated floppy method to direct
booting around version 8.1, and many found that they could no longer boot
the CD.  I think there is a reason for switching that has to do with getting
more on the CD, but the drawback, as I understand it, is that some computers
can only boot a CD that uses the 2.88MB emulated floppy method.  There is a
program called the smart boot manager which can boot any partition on any
drive.  Slackware makes it available as a floppy image in the rootdisks
directory of newer versions.  I also think it can be built from source, but
that would require a working compiler.  Unfortunately, there is no way that
I'm aware of to make it talk, so its usefulness is limited.  I was able to
get it to work eventually by hitting the down arrow several times after
booting the floppy.  I eventually guessed the correct number of times to hit
it, and it was able to boot a CD.