apache log and access control

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at hhs48.com
Wed Dec 8 09:47:51 EST 2004

Yes, each offending entry in the log has a string that is 32 KB long.

I have decided to remove the "deny from" lines and let the entries pile
up in access_log, with log rotation implemented. The problem, as Greg
pointed out, is that the originators of those searches are probably
using a dynamic IP address, which means they will be using a different
one each time, and I will end up blocking an innocent client if I just
keep adding addresses to my deny list.

Chuck

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004, Janina Sajka wrote:

> No, and maybe I misunderstood you. You mean your log entries have the
> full 32Kb string per attempt? I would think something else in the logs
> and suggest using that.
>
> Chuck Hallenbeck writes:
>> Hi Janina,
>>
>> Are you suggesting somehow putting a 32 kb string into a google search
>> field?

"Things are in the saddle, and they ride mankind." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Personal site www.hhs48.com, Download site www.mhcable.com/~chuckh