OT: New wedit, V0.4.11

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at sent.com
Mon Aug 30 19:42:02 EDT 2004

Hi gang,

A couple of people out there are using my wave editor, wedit, and might
like to know about a couple of new features.

1. Reading and writing files in the "flac" format is now supported.
Other formats wedit can read are realaudio, mp3, ogg, trv, wav, and
anything mplayer can decode, assuming the required utilities are
installed on your system. Other formats wedit can write are mp3, wav,
trv, and ogg.

2. A "smooth" command provides true "automatic volume control" to
achieve dynamic range reduction. This is in addition to the "soft
clipping" which has been available forever. The problem with soft
clipping is that it necessarily introduces some distortion, and does
nothing for the softer passages to augment their presence. The problem
with "automatic volume control" is that it boosts noise as well as
signal, but wedit attempts to distinguish between the two.

You can download the source tarball from my web site, which is shown
below, right beneath the moon.

Enjoy,
Chuck

--
The Moon is Waning Gibbous (99% of Full)
My home page is at http://www.mhcable.com/~chuckh