ot: gentoo

Kenny Hitt kenny at hittsjunk.net
Thu Aug 26 02:54:04 EDT 2004

I'm currently running Gentoo.  I chose it for the same reasons you
mention.  My network card isn't supported by any accessible Debian
installer.
It takes a while to install.  I spent the afternoon reading the Gentoo
handbook with lynx in one console and following it's instructions in
another.  When the handbook tells you to type a comman and go watch a
movie or read a book, they aren't kidding.  I installed it on a 1.5G AMD
with 512 meg ram.  It still takes it a while to upgrade things like
Mozilla.  I like the fact I could install my DECtalk software and Sun's
JDK early in the install.  This meant I had DECtalk available for
Gnopernicus the first time.  Gentoo has an accessibility flag that
causes programs built to enable any accessibility features.  I still
like Debian better, but my Gentoo box works fine as my personal work
station.  If you want to use a Gentoo kernel source instead of official
kernel.org sources, gentoo-dev-sources has speakup already patched in
the source.  Speechd-up is a Gentoo package, so getting speakup working
with software speech wasn't difficult.

Hope this helps.

          Kenny