CALLER ID:

Dawes, Stephen Stephen.Dawes at calgary.ca
Wed Aug 25 10:28:27 EDT 2004

In the "System wide message" thread, Shaun asked if I would share what I
am doing with a caller id solution with the group.
Here is the answer to his question.

You bet.

I did some more work on it last night, and just need to figure out one
last little thing. When all is done, I think that I will have a hot
little tool.

As a little teaser, here is what it will do in the end.
When the phone rings my little system, yet to be named, will:
1. Display the caller id information in a meaningful message across your
network, including any Windows boxes, to all logged in.
2. Log all caller id information in a log file.
3. create a Web page from the log file that lists all the calls in the
caller id log file in a meaningful fashion, with the most recent call at
the top.

Some other ideas that I am toying with are:
1. Reworking the Web page to show Name, Number, The last date and time
the person called, the number of times this person called on that day,
and the number of times that person has called since tracking started.
2. A dial-out feature that is launched from the Web page.

Away off in the future I may play with a blocking feature that will
allow for the system to stop those annoying calls from bugging you. You
know the group that I am talking about, telemarketers, Mother-in-laws,
and the like.

If you have any ideas for this little system, let me know, and I will
try to add them to the list.

Watch for it soon.
(soon means: Just as soon as I get this one little annoying bug worked
out.)

How is that for a brochure Shaun?

Steve Dawes
Phone: (403) 268-5527
Email: SDawes at calgary.ca

NOTICE -
This communication is intended ONLY for the use of the person or entity named above and may contain information that is confidential or legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient named above or a person responsible for delivering messages or communications to the intended recipient, YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED that any use, distribution, or copying of this communication or any of the information contained in it is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone and then destroy or delete this communication, or return it to us by mail if requested by us. The City of Calgary thanks you for your attention and cooperation.