System wide message:

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Mon Aug 23 15:48:17 EDT 2004

- From the smb.conf(5) man page:

message command (G)
              This specifies what command to run when the server
              receives a WinPopup style message.

              This would normally be a command that would deliver the
	      message somehow. How this is to be done is up
              to your imagination.

              An example is:

              message command = csh -c 'xedit %s;rm %s' &

              This  delivers  the  message  using xedit, then removes
	      it afterwards. NOTE THAT IT IS VERY IMPORTANT
              THAT THIS COMMAND RETURN IMMEDIATELY. That's why I have
	      the '&' on the  end.  If  it  doesn't  return
              immediately  then  your PCs may freeze when sending
	      messages (they should recover after 30secs, hope-
              fully).

              All messages are delivered as the global guest user.
	      The command takes the  standard  substitutions,
              although  %u won't work (%U may be better in this case).

              Apart from the standard substitutions, some additional
	      ones apply. In particular:

              o %s = the filename containing the message.

              o %t = the destination that the message was sent to
	      (probably the server name).

o %f = who the message is from.

       You  could  make this command send mail, or whatever else takes
       your fancy. Please let us know of any really
       interesting ideas you have.

       Here's a way of sending the messages as mail to root:

       message command = /bin/mail -s 'message from %f on %m' root <
       %s; rm %s

       If you don't have a message command then the message won't be
       delivered and Samba will tell the sender there
       was  an  error. Unfortunately WfWg totally ignores the error
       code and carries on regardless, saying that the
       message was delivered.

       If you want to silently delete it then try:

       message command = rm %s

       Default: no message command

       Example: message command = csh -c 'xedit %s; rm %s' &

Hth.

Greg