ip over ip tunneling

Ralph W. Reid rreid at sunset.net
Wed Aug 11 13:55:16 EDT 2004

What you are describing here sounds like network address translation
(NAT) using masquerading.  I have not done this for a while, but the
file /usr/doc/Linux-HOWTOs/Masquerading-Simple-HOWTO proved useful
once I found it on my Slackware system.  As I recall, the systems must
be able to communicate with each other first before NAT will work
(kind of follows if a connection to the outside world is to be
established).  The examples in the file I specified above are pretty
basic, and as you get more involved with firewalling, you may want to
do more with iptables.  If you do not have access to the file I
mentioned above, let me know, and I can put it on my web site.  Keep
plugging away at it--NAT and masquerading were pretty hard for me to
figure out at first, but I did eventually get the mess working.  Let
me know if I can provide any more help.  HTH and have a _great_ day.

On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 12:06:28PM -0500, Gregory Nowak wrote:
> . . .
> Ok, now that I've described all my problems, let me describe what it
> is that I want out of ipip. Simply put, I have 2 machines, machine a,
> and machine b. For my purposes, machine a is the client, machine b is
> the server. What I want is to have a 1-way tunnel, through which
> machine a would make only out-bound connections, using its tunnel to
> machine b, thus making it appear that the connections are coming from
> machine b's network.
>
> Can someone who is familiar with ip over ip describe for me what
> configuration steps I need to take on the client and server for my
> specific situation as described above? Also, please use different IP
> ranges (E.G. 172.16.x.x, and 192.168.x.x, where the 172 range would be
> the public addresses, and the 192 range would be the private addresses
> used in the tunnel) to make your explanation easier to understand?
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Greg

rreid at sunset.net  http://personalweb.sunset.net/~rreid
Opinions herein are either mine or they are flame bait.
SECANT (x) = TAN (x) / COTAN (x)