ip over ip tunneling

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Tue Aug 10 22:16:44 EDT 2004

I'm not sure what you mean by "setup IP over IP tunneling," but I can
tell you what I do in various circumstances. It's not kernel based as
much as it is ssh based, and relies on the -L and/or -R switches for
ssh. For example, where I worked recently, the closed access to the
internal network so that I could no longer ssh in. I got around that by
doing:

while true; do
ssh -R 23258:localhost:23 66.92.170.XX
 done

from the machine  on the inside that I wanted to get to while off
somewhere around the world. Here's what this command means. Consider the
outside elements, 'ssh 66.92.170.XX." That part is certainly clear, and
does as you expect. It establishes a connection from the machine where
the command is issued to the machine at 66.92.170.XX. The wrapper script
"while true do" just insures that the link gets re-established should it
go down for some reason.

The inner portion says "take the remote port 23258 on localhost and send
it back here on port 23." In other words, I could, on the machine that
is 66.92.170.xx, type:

telnet localhost 23258

and get a telnet login back to that machine inside the firewall.

It worked like a charm.

Other uses for this kind of syntax might include forwarding mail, or
real audio (or speak freely) ports. Whatever.

I hope this is clear, at least as clear as mud and that it's somewhat
helpful.