The hideous Dectalk 5.0

Adam Myrow amyrow at midsouth.rr.com
Sat Aug 7 15:18:14 EDT 2004

Is it just me, or is the Dectalk software 5.0 the worst-sounding software
synthesizer ever produced?  I think between Fonix and Force Computing,
they've absolutely ruined the Dectalk.  This thing sounds like it's got
tape over its mouth, and 4.61 sounded like it was intoxicated.  Not only
that, the installer bombs out with an "unexpected end-of-file" error.  It
still seems to work, however.  I urge anybody who is considering this
product to think again!  I'd rather listen to Flite's monotonous voice.
At least it's clear.  It's not worth $50.  It isn't worth $0.01!  When I
pay for software, I expect quality.  I hope the USB Dectalk that everybody
talks about won't sound like this.