Speech clarity with DECtalk 5 and Speakup.

Kenny Hitt kenny at hittsjunk.net
Sun Aug 1 10:28:52 EDT 2004

Hi.  I didn't use DECtalk 4.6 with speakup very long, so maybe I'm
just used to DECtalk 5.
I noticed setting the pitch in speakup to 2 for male voices and 3 for
female voices seems to make them clear and understandable.
Speech-dispatcher only has 7 voices, so not all DECtalk voices are
available.  I changed the female2 voice from Windy to Rita and
now use the Rita voice.  I liked Betty years ago when I ran Windows
but I can't get the Betty voice usable with DECtalk 5.
I added [:volume set 100] to the command in my dtk-generic.conf to
get the volume to the highest setting.  I'll attach my dtk-generic.conf
file incase there is something different I forgot.

Hope this helps.
          Kenny