accessability with reguards to java not necessarily linux only but may be useful

Sean McMahon smcmahon at usgs.gov
Thu Apr 29 14:51:03 EDT 2004

Pleasse pass this along to some one who might have more use for it or direct me
to someone who might have more use.  Yesterday I handed in a program which a gui
to my instructor and informed him that although there were 6 buttons there were
8 calculatable functions he wanted and did not specify the implementation for.
Inother words there were 2 missing buttons.  Sinse his guidelines were strict
about the gui implementation,  I informed him of his mistake.  At this point I
was embarrassed to discover that the functions I needed were to be implemented
by pressing enter after typing information into the edit field.  No pressing
enter does not click one of the gui's buttons it performs it's own function
provide you've defined it in the program which is how this assignment is
supposed to work.  This is a major problem because java defines the class as an
edit field and does not require any additional properties for that edit field to
say whether you can hit enter and invoke a function or not.  It does have an
editable property fore fields which you can not edit .  I think those of us who
program should get a hold of those who develop java and request the change in
implementation so a screen reader can see whether the edit field is one which
also acts like a button or just a plane old text field.  My question for any of
you is how do we go about making this change and who do we inform?

Write to me privately if you'd rather not clog up this list.
Sean  PS.  when I finnish the code I can send to anyone who wants it so you can
see what I'm talking about.