Missing something important

ameer armaly ameer at charter.net
Wed Apr 28 20:39:12 EDT 2004

Hey chuck
Speechd.conf should be in /etc/speech-dispatcher, if not,
/usr/local/etc/speech-dispatcher/speechd.conf.
As to putting things together, here's a script to do it all.
This simply requires that you have sftsyn installed; module or builtin
doesn't matter.

#!/bin/sh
#software speech script
#start speech dispatcher
speech-dispatcher
#load speakup softsynth module:
#this requires that we first change to no synth in some cases, so we may
as well to be safe.
echo none >/proc/speakup/synth_name
echo sftsyn >/proc/speakup/synth_name
#start speechd_up
speechd_up

this should at least give you an idea of how things are structured; it's a
bit complex at first (i was planning to leave it until the summer), but
once you get it working it works like a charm.